The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) invites a delegation of 15 international science journalists on a press tour to Germany on marine research from 22 to 27 October 2017.
Seas and Ocean Research
The seas and oceans are the origin of all life and vital to the future of humanity. How can ocean resources be used in a sustainable manner? What are the effects of rising sea temperatures and acidification? What can we do to tackle the pollution of the seas? These are only some of the questions that researchers of today are seeking to answer. The press tour picks up the topic of the German Science Year 2016*17 of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and sets out to show what marine researchers in Germany are working on.
Preliminary programme outline
The focus will be on three fields of action:
• Oceans as a source of raw materials and energy
• Oceans as “weather kitchen” and climate machine
• Oceans as a source of food and treasure trove
Among the institutions to be visited are (to be confirmed):
• Alfred Wegener Institute Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven
• Cluster of Excellence "The Future Ocean", Kiel
• GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel
• Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research, Bremen
• MARUM - Center for Marine Environmental Sciences, University of Bremen
• Max Planck Institute for Meteorology (MPI Hamburg)
Who can apply?
Journalists specialized in the coverage of science, technology, the environment or research policy are welcome to apply. Former participants of press tours organized by the DAAD may apply again.
• Established journalists with at least three full years of professional experience working/free-lancing for general or popular science media
• Currently working as journalist or freelance for print, online, or broadcast media outlets (unfortunately, TV journalists cannot take part due to logistical limitations).
• Excellent contacts with media in your home country
• Specialized in environment, ecology, energy, sustainability or other science and technology issues
• Excellent English language skills
• Commitment to fully participate in the programme (22 to 27 October 2017)
Please apply online at www.research-in-germany.org/presstour2017 .
Please fill out the online form and upload the requested documents. Only complete applications will be considered. Participants will be selected by a DAAD committee.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday, 31 May 2017, 23.59 pm (CET). Successful applicants will be notified by the end of June 2017.
If you are selected, the DAAD will provide official invitation letters for your visa process. However, it is your responsibility to obtain the required travel visas.
Included in the tour (expenses covered by DAAD):
The DAAD will take over the following tasks and will cover the following expenses:
• organization of the tour
• accompaniment throughout the tour by DAAD staff and a tour guide
• travel expenses from and back to the journalists’ country of origin (Economy Class, 2nd Class (train)) according to the Federal Travel Expenses Law
• accommodation and subsistence expenses for the duration of the tour (as outlined in the final programme)
• transfers within Germany during the tour (as outlined in the final programme)
• health insurance coverage (for the duration of the tour)
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Section International Research Marketing
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 882-858
The press tour is part of the initiative to “Promote Innovation and Research in Germany”, which was launched by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) to strengthen and ex-pand research collaboration between Germany and its international partners. Under the heading “Research in Germany” it aims to present information about German innovation and research worldwide and encourage an international research dialogue.
Every Thursday from 13:30 to 16:00, no appointment necessary.
There is no consulting hours on Thursday, 17 January 2019.
In 2019 our office will be closed on:
- Jan 01
- February 05
- March 07
- April 03, 17, 19
- May 01, 30
- June 05, 06
- August 12
- October 03
- December 25, 26